Sunday, November 16, 2008

Our First Rain of the Season!!!

Being raised in NC, I'm pretty well used to rain and thunderstorms. Even snow at some times...So, when I came out to California, I was pretty disappointed that there weren't too many thunderstorms and hardly any rain at all. Of course, until Fall comes. So, on Conference Weekend, the rain came and I was so happy! I love Conference weekend. For those who aren't LDS, we have General Conference twice a year, April and October. This is where we hear from our Dear Prophet, President Monson, and many of our leaders.
I have wanted to start some sort of tradition with the kids for conference weekend. Haven't had much luck, yet. Although, the 5 of us throw a nice, big Sunday morning brunch together and eat during the first session. Well, on Saturday morning, it was raining and therefore it was excellent sleeping weather. I hopped up a few minutes before 9 and TRIED to turn it to BYU, but our power was out. Soooo, i called next door and they didn't know what was going on. Obviously, CA drivers have no clue how to drive when it rains. Someone knocked down a power line or something. Being the intelligent one I am, I decided to go next door and get their laptop so I could watch atleast a portion of it. Well, the battery was dead and with no power, it could not be recharged...UGG. A little while went by, and I had a great idea. We have a power adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car. AH HA! I took the laptop out to the car (along with the 10 feet of cords) and plugged it in. I was able to watch conference....in my car.....in the rain : )
Couldn't have been better. The talks were wonderful. My favorite talk of the whole conference was the one by David A. Bednar on prayer. You can read it HERE. Morning Prayer should be a continuation of evening prayer and evening, a continuation of morning. We should always be in prayer. I feel as though I have been praying extra hard the past month or so. Especially with my new quest to find Mr Right, and even more-so, the controversy about Prop 8. Never in a million years did I think I would have to be faced with such persecution and such hatred towards us (Mormons). Prayer is so important. I am so grateful for the sweet prayers of my children. Most of the time, they give me guff for asking them to pray, but usually they are willing to do so. Sean has really gotten the idea to think outside of grateful for this day, grateful for this food, please bless us....He really tries to think about his day and what may happen in the future, and he'll add that. It sure warms my heart!
After conference was over, I could hear the kids just screaming and laughing. Bryce was outside with them (maybe Deb, too) and they were splashing in puddles. These kids were drenched. It was so fun to see them having such a great time splashin in the big puddles.
So, I am already so excited for April's conference....Hopefully I will able to actually be in SLC and attend a session. My friend Celeste and I just may head out there for a fun girls weekend (that I am in such great need of). Here are some fun pics of the kids outside!

Such Great Buddies!!


Sean's Rock
Mackenzie on the Fence

No comments: